Learn Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe!
All youth 10 to 19 years of age are welcome.
The He’e Nalu Youth Program teaches Hawaiian Outrigger Canoeing and its rich history in Hawaiʻi and the rest of Polynesia, together with paddling techniques and fundamentals, ocean safety, and overall fitness. Competitive paddling is available with an NCOCA youth race on July 9, 2022.
- 4:30 pm Fridays at 101 Surf Sports
- 115 3rd St, San Rafael
- 90-minute duration
Please park on the street or in the high school parking lot.
- Water wear or clothes made with synthetic fibers
- Several layers (to adjust for comfort)
- Mineral-based sunscreen (avoid ingredients oxybenzone and octinoxa)
- Sunglasses (floating or with eyewear retainer straps)
- Hats (made with synthetic fibers)
- Slip-off shoes, sandals, water shoes, or flip-flops (no street shoes in the canoe)
- Water (in a refillable drinking container)
- Towel and change of dry clothes (leave in your vehicle)
- Face-coverings for land and dock are always welcome
- Any medical needs, for example an inhaler or EpiPen
- PFD (personal flotation device), if you have one
- Dry bag or waterproof case for mobile phone
- Outrigger paddle
- PFD (personal flotation device) Type II
- A completed and signed waiver, see here
Be sure to click the verification email, the waiver is invalid without it.
Register Your Youth
Send questions to [email protected] or in the form below!